Saturday, July 3, 2010

"Overqualified" Home Learning Mommas

A few weeks ago, I posted the following to our local homeschooling discussion list.

For many many years now, I've been thinking about my decision to put my career on hold in order to be home with my child. I did run the SE program for an online Distributed Learning program for several years (when my child was ages 4 to 9), but that was something I stumbled into because it was easy to do from home, not because it was part of my overall plan for my professional career. I quit because it had started to interfere with my availability to my son -- I've been retired for a year.

I realize that this is not an issue for everyone who homeschools, but I have noticed, over the years, that there are an astounding number of homeschooling mommas who hold graduate and postgraduate degrees, who are professionals who could be bringing home big bucks if they were in the work force, but are choosing to stay at home with their children and homeschool/unschool, etc.

I'm using the word "overqualified" in a joking way in the title to this post, so please don't be offended. I realize that all the degrees in the world (and extensive experience with other people's children) do not add up in any way as a "qualification" for parenting. Believe me, I know this firsthand!

I would love to hear more about people's decisions to walk away from those glistening career/vocational paths and stay at home with their kids.

Was this something you had planned to do all along? Or are you like me, with no idea what it would look like until you were smack dab in the middle of your relationship with your child and you realized you could not trust this precious being into the care and keeping of another, no matter how driven to succeed you once were?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this, if you'd care to share.


I received some fabulous replies from people. I've asked permission to share some of those replies on this site and I'll be reposting them over the next few days.

Your comments on this topic are very welcome.